CrossFit’s work outs mix cardio, weight training, & gymnastics. CrossFit is more then the next biggest workout craze. It’s a community where people come together to work out, support the community you live in, encourage each other, and get physically fit! CrossFit can be dangerous and hard on your body but if you have good coaching and you focus more on proper form rather than the amount of weight, CrossFit can get you in serious shape. CrossFit will humble you and you have to leave your ego at home. There is no room for drama in the box. Moderation, stretch, rest, and proper nutrition are the biggest keys to CrossFit.
You also have to trust your coaches. Do your homework when looking for a box (CrossFit Gym). Ask around, visit box, and participate in a WOD (Work Out of the Day) with them. Meet the community (other members). Check if it is clean, has heat/air conditioning, and look at the equipment make sure it is current, and up to date. Trust me! I had to learn the hard way!
Our Box in Florida was amazing all around. The owner was not in it just for the money, there was an intense focus on proper form and technique, and that makes a huge difference. He wasn’t trying to sell you socks or t-shirts. He was always around and actually coached you and gave you feedback. That is what you need. When you are throwing around 165 pounds form is everything! The other members were awesome and the owner worked hard to make the box a community and also hosted fundraiser WOD and events for the community.
My first box when we moved up north was crazy. I never signed a release form until I was there 3 months and another member said, “didn’t you sign a release form”? I said, “No”. And I had never met the owner until after I was there almost 4 months. After I had an injury (a pulled muscle) and a winter with no heat in the CrossFit Box; I knew it was time for me to move on to a different box. I just wasn’t getting what I needed. I need coaching, motivation, and heat in the CrossFit Box in the winter.
This time I smarted up and wrote down what was important to me in a box. I actually checked out different boxes talked to the coaching staff and tried out a few classes, then made a decision. I love my new box and I should have taken the time to check out different CrossFit gyms in the beginning instead of just joining the first CrossFit Box I found.
5 Key Items to Look at in a CrossFit Box
- Coaches~Make sure they are certified! Meet the coaches, talk to them to find out their coaching style and tell them what you need from a coach! Ask the coaches if they give modifications for some of the more challenging workouts, or show the progressions of how a specific lift is done through stages? I learn with repetition. Make sure the coaches are correcting your errors to always ensure proper form? I have been doing CrossFit for 2 + years, however; I do not believe that CrossFit is ever mastered! You can evolve but you are always learning! I still need to be pushed sometimes or I will stay in my comfort zone! Coaches need to be open to suggestions because, hey, lets face it, you need them to coach you and they need you to pay their bills.
- Box~ What is it like? Is it clean, do they use heat in the wintertime? Do they have a bathroom? Childcare? Etc. Remember you get what you pay for.
- Equipment~ Look at the equipment is it up to date, do they have enough for everyone, and do they have what you need if you need to modify a workout? Is the CrossFit Box clean?
- WOD’s~ Follow the WOD’s for a few weeks if they are posted on their webpage. Is there enough time to warm up? Are the muscles you are going to be using warmed up and stretched prior to the WOD? Does the coach show modifications or demonstrate the lift progression and walk around coaching during the workouts? Not WODing with you and watching you!
- Members~ Talk to the other members. Are they happy there? What are they like? Are they friendly? What do they like about the CrossFit Box?
CrossFit is one of the highest calorie burning workouts! It is fun and exciting!
Do your own homework and find a box community that you love! Visit, try a WOD, and talk to people! Make sure you mesh well with the coaches! Find a place you are comfortable.