Hearty Beef and Sausage Chili is one of those cold weather staples and one of the perfect foods for entertaining. For the Super Bowl instead of cooking a huge dinner I like to make a few good appetizers and this Hearty Chili. I love to entertain and by making a few appetizers and this Hearty Chili, guests can serve themselves. It is a win- win, friends can snack on appetizers and dress up their chili however they like it. And I can enjoy the game and the company of good friends.
I love to set up a fabulous Chili Bar with all the fixings and topping so guest can make their chili exactly how they like it. I have been making this Hearty Beef and Sausage Chili without beans. However, I put out some cooked black beans and kidney beans to the chili bar for those who enjoy beans in their chili. I feel like this Chili is hearty enough it really doesn’t need the bean. Do you like beans in your chili?
Hearty Beef and Sausage Chili
What you need:
2 yellow squash
1 large onion, or 2 small onions
2 pounds of ground beef
1 pound of Italian sausage (I use hot, but you could use mild if you prefer.)
2- 15 oz can of tomatoes
4 oz can of green chilies
1 head of celery
3-4 cloves of garlic
3 cups of beef broth
4 tbsp of chili powder
3 tbsp of smoked paprika
2 tbsp of oregano
2 tbsp of basil
2 tbsp of cumin
4 tbsp of coco powder
- Chop up zucchini, yellow squash, onion, carrots, celery, jalapenos, and garlic into bit size pieces.
- In a large stockpot over medium- high heat, cook the ground beef and sausage, and drain off any fat.
- Once the ground beef and sausage is cooked, add to the stockpot the veggies and the cans of tomato & chilies.
- Mix together.
- Add in the chili powder, smoked paprika, oregano, basil, cumin, and coco powder.
- Mix together.
- Cover the stockpot and cook for 3 to 4 hours.
For the Chili Bar…
Cheddar cheese, sour cream, chopped tomatoes, chopped onions, jalapeños, fresh cilantro, hot sauce, black & kidney beans, corn chips, and bacon crumbles.