This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ZiplocSavesSpace #CollectiveBias
The linen closet… It’s my dreaded place to visit in our house. We live in a 2 story – 4 bedroom home, and this is the only linen closet. It is located inside the guest bathroom, which is located upstairs, behind the door that opens into the bathroom. It sounds crazy I know. However, it is definitely a home design flaw.
The family is coming into town for the holidays, and I had to come up with something to fix the linen closet before family arrives. If my guest opened that door “things” could topple onto their heads, or they could think I was a hoarder.
The linen closet is oddly shaped, and the door opens strangely making it hard to fit stuff in. I love order, organization, and for all items in my home to have a place to be put away in . The linen closet is one of those places that has to follow this rule too. I had to get creative on where I keep “things”. I’m very thankful my laundry room has some storage, because that is where I keep many items and only use this linen closet for the guest room items.
However, due to its poor design it still creates problems. The linen closet is small, has little shelf space, and an odd shape making it difficult to keep organized. My regular go- to bins and baskets for storage weren’t going to work in the space. I needed something that would save me space, are easy to use, are and reusable. The solution, besides leaving a hard hat on the door or throwing everything away, is Ziploc® Space Bag® products. See below and check out tips for how to organize the linen closet!
How to Organize the Linen Closet
Remove everything from the closet.
Sort items into three piles:
- Items used regularly.
- Items used occasionally.
- Never used items.
- Place regularly used item back on the shelf (towels, heating pad, etc.)
- Sort through occasionally and never-used items. Are there duplicates? Any worn items that can get recycled or tossed? Or items you never use? Any items that can be donated or recycled for other uses?
- Add storage items to keep it organized. I love these Ziploc® Space Bags®. They compress and flatten our bulky items to create 3 times the storage space, compared to the uncompressed storage volume. Like our extra set of guest room sheets and blankets, throw blankets. They are easy to use, and are airtight, waterproof, and they protect against mold, mildew & odors, bugs, moths. My favorite part is that they are re-useable. Check out how they work:
I picked up a few boxes while I was at Lowe’s.
Remember like any plastic bags, keep them out of reach of babies & children!
Here are some helpful tips when using Ziploc® Space Bags®!
- Pick the right size Ziploc® Space Bag®.
- Don’t fill passed the “fill line”
- Smooth out any bumps.
- Neatly fold items being placed in the Ziploc® brand Space Bags®
- Don’t use to store food, leather, or items made of fur.
- Don’t store holiday decor or breakable items.
What are some of your favorite ways to organize the linen closet? Don’t forget to check out more space saving ideas on Ziploc.com.