It’s been 2 weeks and we are finally settling in! 406 boxes plus tons of paper! Wow! 3 big guys, the assistance of removal companies and a 18 wheeler! Everything went in a box if it fix! That was the movers goal! They said it prevents things from breaking. And they were right. Nothing broke! Knock on wood! I have to say we lucked out with the group of guys we got! They had it down and they were used to working with each other. They came in packed and loaded us up in 2 full days! Drove the 18 wheeler to Philly and we flew up. We made it with 2 dogs and a 3 year old on our flight and in a hotel till our stuff arrived 3-Days later.
The unpacking started! For 2 full days the truck was unloaded, and boxes were unpacked. We got a ton done. However, organizing and putting it all away was the tricky part. That’s where creativity came in. And sometimes you have to sit back and ponder it a bit!
Have to say, not seeing the new house first made it a bit more difficult. My husband found it and ran with it. Guys aren’t good about looking at the details! He saw it and thought cool floors, fireplace, awesome basement, and it’s clean, sweet! When a women looks at a place they are looking at room sizes, the number of bathrooms, the closet space, the outdoors, parking, the whole picture! I would have noticed no pantry! That’s where creativity came in! I was stumped but I got it all figured out! In an ideal world, it would have been much more reassuring to have gone to see the house in person to check that there wasn’t any damp or leaks damaging the structure of the house. Whilst you can’t see that sort of stuff on pictures, you’d be able to see it in person. If we would’ve found any damp, we would’ve had to contact a repiping plumber to see if it could’ve been fixed. Luckily, my husband chose a house that seems to be just fine.
And little by little I’m feeling more and more comfortable in our new home. We even got some pictures and curtains hung. I know it takes time but I’m one of those people that loves order and for everything to have a place. For the most part we are all set up! My friend decided to buy an apartment just after we moved in since I told her to check out this website to look at the apartments on offer. She loves modern properties so she decided to buy one and she’s excited to get moved in! I thought she could do with reading these tips so here are some very valuable moving tips!
Top 10 moving tips!
1. Tape signs on each door/ closet/ so movers know where thing go in old house & new house. If you’re not sure which moving company to use, check out some Movers in Houston and find a reliable company who you trust with your belongings.
2. Have packer label every box/ everything- with last name & the name of the room( Honey- playroom/ Honey- kitchen)
3. Pack up blankets, sheets, pillows, and towels in a box and draw all over the box. Make sure it is put on the truck last so it is easy to find. You can do the same with cleaning supplies.
4. Use ziplock space bags to pack up blankets, sheets, towels, and pillows. It will keep them clean and when you are super tired from moving you’ll know where they are and they will be clean!
5. Ask packers to pack up playroom & kids rooms last. So those rooms are last on the truck.
6. Have the master bedroom & kitchen packed next
7. Unpack kids rooms & playroom first- it will help them transition. Then unpack master bedroom & kitchen.
8. Stay out of the way! They know how to pack. Feed them and have lots of water for them.
9. Remember you are the only competent one! Remember that when the cable company doesn’t show up!
10. Breath! It will all get done!