Making The Most Spectacular Whole Wheat Gingerbread Cookies is one of our families favorite holiday baking tradition! We usually end up making a few batches of these Christmas Cookies throughout the holiday season to bring to holiday parties or to share with neighbors and friends.
They are simple to make and even Little Dude loves to join in and help make and decorate these delicious cookies. On Christmas Eve we make another batch just for Santa, and we decorate them special just for him! Check out the recipe below!
The Most Spectacular Whole Wheat Gingerbread Cookies
What You Need:
2/3 cups shortening
1 cup of sugar
1 beaten egg
1/4 cup molasses
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cloves
- In a mixing bowl add in shortening and sugar, use a hand mixer to thoroughly cream.
- Slowly mix in eggs & molasses and mix well.
- Sift in dry ingredients, whole wheat flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.
- Mix dough into a ball and chill in the refrigerator for a few hours.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and place on a floured surface.
- Roll dough on a floured surface till dough is about a quarter of an inch thick for crispy cookies or a half an inch thick for chewy cookies.
- Then use cookie cutters to cut out cookies and place them on a cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10- 12 minutes.
- Let cool and decorate!!
Start a new tradition with your family and make The Most Spectacular Whole Wheat Gingerbread Cookies!