My father is hands down one of the best cooks ever! His creative dishes are always an event and menu planning could go on for weeks! One sure thing is that all the planning, creating, and time preparing makes every dish better than the next! My father never follows a recipe but truly creates works of art! True masterpieces! We all have our favorite dishes and it’s hard to narrow down the best of the best! From Ribs to Sesame Noodles, Beef Wellington to Grilled Veggies. Nothing is ever mediocre. A true chef!
So while I was shopping yesterday I came across some Beef Short Ribs. They were beautiful. Never have I ever used the word beautiful to describe beef but they were! Fresh, grass fed, short ribs were in my hand and I was excited to make them! I can’t say I’ve ever made short ribs before but I knew just who to call! My Dad! I followed his recipe and of course, they were amazing! He walked me through how to made them & even called after dinner to see how they came out! Hope you enjoy them!
What You Need:
- 2 pounds beef short ribs
- Mirepoix (1 onion, 2-3 carrots, 2-3 celery stalks)
- 2 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 can beef broth or water
- 1 cup of red wine ( I use Cabernet)
- 1 bay leave
- 2- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- Garlic powder
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Warm olive oil in the pot
- Salt and pepper the beef short ribs
- Add beef short ribs and brown on all sides (You may have to do a few in the pan at a time)
- Take them out of the pot
- Into the same pot ( don’t clean it) add Mirepoix (onion, carrots, & celery) garlic
- Soften veggies
- Add beef back into the pot
- Add in tomato paste, red wine, & beef broth (make sure the short ribs are completely submerged in liquid. May need to add more beef broth or some water)
- Drop in a bay leaf & parsley
- Cook in the slow cooker on low for 5 hours, then uncover and cook for 1 hour
- or cook in the oven covered on 350 degrees for 3 hours then uncover for 20 minutes.
- Serve with steamed green & roasted acorn squash.